This is the website of Bert van Oers
The Department Research and Theory in Education is part of the Faculty of Behaviour and Movement sciences of VU University in Amsterdam (see www.fgb.vu.nl). The department provides training in the area of education and curriculum and has a research program “Developmental Education in the school context” (see http://www.psy.vu.nl/faculteit/research/pedagogics/strategic.html ).
The chair Cultural historical Theory of Education is connected to the Faculty of Behaviour and Movement sciences of VU University in Amsterdam, and established upon request of the Academy for Developmental Education (https://www.ogo-vereniging.nl/ ).
(If links don't work, please copy and paste into your browser)
* Marilyn Fleer interviews Bert van Oers (Melbourne, 2013): see: https://youtu.be/LVVClcV3lAg ( in English )
* Chiel van der Veen interviews Bert van Oers (2019, in Dutch ): see: https://www.hjk-online.nl/spelen/de-toekomst-van-spel/ For Journal: De Wereld van het Jonge Kind
* Vittorio Busato interviews Bert van Oers (in Dutch, January 12, 2012, in Dutch ) see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5GjnrO4ilE
Bert van Oers studied psychology at the university of Utrecht with professor Carel van Parreren and graduated in 1977; he specialised in learning theory (particularly an action-based theory of learning as was developed by van Parreren since the 1950s), developmental psychology, curriculum theory, instructional theory in the areas mathematics, literacy and art.
From the mid-1970 he developed his theoretical orientation on the basis of the work of Vygotskij, Leont’ev and their followers, currently well-known worldwide as Culturalhistorical Activity Theory (CHAT). Bert is cofounder of the educational concept ' Developmental Education '.
President of ISCRAT congress: 1998 - 2002
Bert van Oers is leading a research group taking a Cultural-Historical Activity Theory perspective.
Associate members of the group are: Marjolein Dobber (PhD), and Chiel van der Veen (PhD), Femke van der Wilt (PhD)
Memberships of editorial boards:
European Early Childhood Education Research Journal
International Journal of Early Years Education
Sovremënoe Doškol'noe Obrazovanie (Preschool Education Today)
Psychology in Russia
Zone (in Dutch)
Main book publications :
* Citizenship and identity formation (in Dutch, Co-edited Bert van Oers, Yvonne Leeman, Monique Volman). Asen: van Gorcum. (2010).
* International Handbook of Early Childhood Education. (Co-Edited by M. Fleer & B. van Oers). Berlin: Springer, 2017.
* I is a plural (in Dutch: "Ik is een meervoud"). Assen: van Gorcum, 2021.